Sunday, July 7, 2024

A list poem of gratitude

 

It never occurred to me to raise crickets in a bowl just

to be serenaded every night.  

But people do that.  

The bugs sing to seduce yet keep on singing after 

every orgasm for the pure joy 

of it, I guess.  

What a world! 


I love to hear them on my evening walks but try 

not to visualize a thousand black bugs squeezing 

their hind legs together.   

How that kills my reverence!   


Tonight along the water's edge embraced 

by leafy trees of varied ethnicities, 

among them a splattering of lost marigolds.  

crickets croon to me and

a jolt of their joy rips through me.  

A jolt of privilege to walk in this lovely place 

where it is safe except for the frightened snake

& a family of raccoons rustling the brush and thistle.


My house is not in flames. 

My family not bombed. 

My son not being waterboarded.  

No army turns off my water.  

Stops the delivery of food.  

I have medicine.  


I get to go on living!

This feels like a miracle! 


Because elsewhere (you know where) 

whole families are hunted like prey.  

Even the stars above them die with less pain.


But here the oleander 

that seemed dead all winter 

is alive & abundant, well watered. 


How did I get so lucky? 

My wings rub together with the band

of crickets. 


Whom do I thank for all this? 


No comments:

Post a Comment