Thursday, March 1, 2012

Star Dust


My mother-in-law passed away quietly today just short of her 93rd birthday. When she entered hospice care a few weeks ago, my 5-year-old grandson had conversations about life and death. Here is one.

Where was grandma before she grew 
in her mother's stomach?
In seeds in her parents' bodies,
waiting to be planted, I say.
Where was she before the seeds?

In star dust. 
Like you and me and everything.
And when she dies, 
where will she be?
Back to star dust again.
Oh! I love star dust!

4 comments:

  1. You are the best Oma a child could ask for.

    I'm sorry for your loss.

    To the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law's passing. My step mother just passed at age 101. Can you imagine what these two ladies witnessed in their lifetimes?

    Enjoyed your grandson's questions about death and his sense of joy at the continuation of life in the universe.

    For more people to read your poetry, (if you have not already done so) consider linking them to social sites like stumbleupon and google plus.

    Thanks for visiting and good to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denny, many thanks for comments and tips. Ellen

    ReplyDelete