Saturday, February 15, 2014

Waiting

 My mother’s motor is always racing. 
Get going! Hurry up! She's a blitz.  
But I keep staring at the wet pavement,
I am counting cracks and maple bark
soaking in their sweet sweat, I'm far inside
the humming world
and before I know it I’m flat in the street,
a motorcycle wheel spinning on my back 
on Columbus Avenue, the driver 
kneeling and praying beside my head.
I'd run too fast across the street--
hadn't dared to keep my mother waiting.
And now I hurry her along. 
Time to go! Let's not be late! 
Now the widow stands on her one good leg, 
chain-smoking on the porch, 
coat on, doors locked, impatient for this ride.
I fold her walker, hear her grunting, hear the lowering
of her crippled self into my car, hear the nervous 
hurried motion from not wanting to keep me waiting. 
I could have touched her with my palm
I could have have said, Please take your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment