Sunday, January 10, 2016

A glimpse

I knew it, as we all know it: mean death leans 
against the railings;
in every moment malice mills about;
we don't own these bodies, they are the pod's.
He didn't know, nor did I, which of us 
would go first. 
I guessed, discretely, when I dared to, 
it would be him. 
There were reasons, none gasp-inducing, just that 
he ate more meat, did not exert enough perhaps;
and his men seem to buckle, nor did he believe
all this would clutch him from our stream of life 
but when I glimpsed that steep path down,  
I felt soaked in ice.
Lasting only seconds but when I got a glimpse,
I saw my own headstone, too. 
I saw the end of him and me as the end 
of all the world. 
He was so real, so finished, 
so whole and endless, like the Sierra Nevada, 
like a continent, 
 and if I was wrong about him, 
I was wrong about everything. 








No comments:

Post a Comment