Saturday, April 6, 2024

Clenched fist



Another day and the man who slept beside me for so long shrinks 

      and fades.

Day after day that shrinking, that fading of him.  

       Not long dead yet he is losing visibility


though I clasp hard and strain

       to smell him on this Hawaiian shirt, to hear his timber.


Another day of not seeing a man

I knew by heart.

       More and more spaces between his bones and mine.


Soon I will peer into thin air 

and his happy banter will fade

       like a train whistle rushing into night.


But today I like how I handle that truth.


Today I hear only a squeal from my own heart 

       when I step from my car


under the white bulging overhang of cloud 

       
along the great blue bay.


Geese jabber.  The wind crashes through my coat

and my body shivers as I pass

       the bench where he sat and something


moves hawklike over it and suddenly

I recall his toes were the last

       to disappear into the black plastic bag. 


I remember the weight of his ashes grey as fog,

 heard his knuckles cracking.

      

My fists clench in the cold shower 

       of recall.

No comments:

Post a Comment