Sunday, August 3, 2014

It's wrong

We watch it together, the way the sickness robs
his body’s surface, slackens and liquifies 
just as each year the fresh autumn pumpkins
extirpate in summer heat and sink
into grassland.
We have discussed it, we have seen the signs
of the deranging force and we have joked 
about how its witchy extortion hovers in no 
hurry for us, only drifting our way 
with starts and stops, and, we thought its 
descent would always be lethargic, 
we thought we had ample time 
and then late afternoon I was turning on TV
and glanced his way and there it was, kneeling 
by the bed, reaching for him, extorting him 
from the room. But he resists, holds on tightly
to his air, his thinning matter and I watch 
from the chair rocking all night, the extorting 
force crawling around my feet, climbing into 
the bed purring beside him who sweats in sleep 
and I rock and pray to Him I don’t see or know: 
Please do not deploy your power in this way. 
And my faith takes another blow.

No comments:

Post a Comment