Thursday, November 19, 2015

For example

I wonder how to live now 
that I'm not a wife.


For example, I needn't say,
Art, I'll be back at four. 

Nor need I return at four.
I needn't return by five
or six or really ever now
that I'm not a wife.

I won't be talking anymore.
For example, when I wake,
I make coffee, watch the news, 
dress and check the mail, 
all this and more
without a single word. 

And all the chores 
are mine now. 
That hammer on his desk?
It's mine though I could 
easily miss the nail.
 
And if I scream 
not a soul would hear 
now that I'm not a wife. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh honey, how real and raw this is. So hard to figure out how to inhabit this new life when so much is missing. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie, a heartfelt thank you for stopping by and for your compassion and I'm sorry you know what I know.

    ReplyDelete