Thursday, November 30, 2023

Meteorology


I only need to hear 
the first three notes 
in his voice to know 
he speaks the truth about his homework
so I say, Ok Have another 
of whatever he is asking for.  

My little man hasn’t figured out 
how well I know him.  
He doesn’t realize his First Grade heart beats 
inside a glass cage for all to see.  

He tells me, Miss Robbins says 
she has eyes 
in the back of her head 
but I think she’s just kidding, don’t you?

I am the meteorologist of his moods. 
I know what he’ll say and what he’ll do 
until the day a shadow darkens his upper lip. 

That’s when he changes passwords 
on all his devices. 
And when the How would I know? answer 
shoots down my every question.  

Warnings, slow, like a truck beeping in reverse. 
And then one night the roof blows open. 

A spray of cologne announces 
a blunt has just been lit.  
And the whispers of a girl wake me
in the middle of the night. 

Each dawn pulls him further from 
the glass cage into a steel vault
and me wondering, must I love
him harder or with more ease?

The answer, like an engine 
in a rusty old car, 
turns and turns but never catches.

No comments:

Post a Comment